Google

Monday, March 10, 2008

The EYE has seen the ROCKET launch to the MOON

Woo Hoo... PRU12 was as exciting as it can get. And it's the first time that I was more active in the whole process. What fun!!!

In the past elections, I was a mere observer. I did not cast my vote, and at night just watched TV as the results show BN win seat by seat.

This year, i was a bit more involved. I one of the 60,000 that bathed the Han Chiang school field in red, during the DAP rally. I was also at Sg Ara to listen to PKR and Anwar speak the night before elections. To be frank, i attended these rallies more out of curiosity and for experience than anything else. Had I known that BN was hosting a rally at Rifle Range a few nights before, i might have turned out there as well. :p

This year, i did make the effort to make the trip back to Ipoh to exercise my right to vote. I voted in my hometown of Chemor.

The excitement really started from 8pm onwards when results from the polling stations started to creep in. Phone calls and SMS came in droves on who won and who lost. The first news i had was that DAP was winning it big in Penang and Selangor. Next came the news that Koh Tsu Koon had lost, and then the infamous Samy Vellu as well.

All these happened as i was having dinner with my family outside. With such exciting news streaming in, i couldn't wait to go home an turn on the TV to catch the news.

To my dismay, as i turned on the TV at 10:00pm none of the results that i received from phone calls and SMS were displayed or announced yet. And so it pretty much remained till almost 2am. What a disappointing service from mainstream media.

As the head of Bernama mentioned in the TV show last night, it must have been the biggest joke in town. He mentioned that he was in the studio analyzing the results as it streamed in. But when he went to take a break outside, his driver has the more updated news that BN had lost Kedah, Penang and Selangor. He quipped that his driver (and practically the whole world) knew more than him, while he was supposedly getting first hand news from the SPR. What a major joke!

Well, all said and done... we now have an interesting era at our hands. There is no longer a blanket BN domination whether in Parliament or in the state level. Hopefully with the larger voice in Parliament, the opposition will encourage more fruitful and constructive debate on national matter, instead of being booed down even before they spoke.

As of now, there is no MB announced yet for my home state of Perak. Apparently three names have been submitted to Raja Nazrin who will pass them to Sultan Azlan Shah for consideration. Whoever that they choose, i put my full trust in their judgement. I have the utmost respect to both Raja Nazrin and Sultan Azlan Shah.

Plus add the fact that the new governments in Kedah, Penang, Selangor and Perak will now be under pressure to deliver what they have promised... Clean, transparent and accountable governance.

Whatever happens it can only be for the better. The people has spoken... when pushed hard enough, we will fight back. And in a major way!

I am only glad that I had an active role in this historic event in Malaysian politics. I am sure there will be books written on this. And as someone said, I can now tell the next generations to come that i was part of this 'revolution'. :)

No comments: