Google

Monday, December 29, 2008

Under The Big Tree

During the long Christmas weekend while I was back in Ipoh, I had lunch at a place Ipoh folks call 'Tai Shu Kiok' - literally meaning 'at the feet of big trees'. The name is quite apt, as the tables were set out within a grove of shady trees.

I had not been there for quite a while, and was surprised at the changes there. For one, a hawker centre has suddenly sprung up next to it. Although it was doing relatively good business as well, it does not seem to have affected the original shop as it was just as crowded.

Secondly, plastic 'canvas' canopies now cover the entire area under the trees. While it is probably good for practical reasons, i miss the time when it was all open air. I miss the 'torpedoes' of falling leaves and twigs everytime the wind blows.

Anyways, most importantly the food has not changed. I could still have my laksa bee hoon (yes, bee hoon) there. Ipoh remains the only place i've found that i could have laksa with bee hoon, (just the way i like it). I don't fancy the thicker noodles that normally accompanies laksa dishes.

Plus the large variety of 'stuffed snacks' or 'liu' as we call it in cantonese is just marvelous. Add to the fact that everything is freshly fried at the stall itself, the entire lunch was just amazingly mouth watering and very much satisfying. I guess that is why the place is so popular. I was there at about 2pm, and the place was still packed with the lunch crowd...

This remains as one of my favourite makan places of all times. Compared to this, I just can't understand what the fuss about 'Ampang Yong Tau Foo' is all about...


Delicious stuff just waiting to be fried...







Yummy Stuff...










The lunch crowd...

4 comments:

soo sean said...

Emm...I love to go there too. My old house is very near to it. Many memories.....

Anonymous said...

I still visit this place whenever I am in Ipoh...the hoong tau sut is a drink to die for.

Anonymous said...

why didnt mention the leng lui geh?

Anonymous said...

why didnt mention the leng lui geh?